Local MP urges people to donate blood in run up to Jubilee
Meon Valley MP George Hollingbery is urging people to give blood in the run up to the Olympics and Diamond Jubilee after booking himself an appointment to donate.
George is O Rh D negative, a type shared by only around seven per cent of the population, and it is in great demand because it can be used by anyone.
"It's a stark statistic that 96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood, so I urge everyone in this Olympic and Jubilee year - when demand will be high - to do something amazing and donate," said George.
"It's great that I have a blood type that's in demand, but even if I didn't I would still donate because all types are welcome.
"It really is a quick, practically painless and vitally important thing to do and it helps so many people."
George will be giving blood at Waterlooville, Community Centre
10 Maurepas Way, Waterlooville, on 8 May 2012 at 12:15.